Monday, June 7, 2010

My favorite present

This week was my birthday.  It was a pretty low key day, a playdate at the park in the morning, baking a cake and balloon flowers and bugs in the afternoon, and dinner at our Mexican spot in the evening.  The balloons were a lot of fun.  We made various plants and flowers including a venus fly trap.  The bugs included butterflies and a blue ladybug.  And for some reason a pink guitar was requested by Baby Girl, so I made one.



This was my favorite present.  Baby Girl drew this and gave it to me.  She said, "For you!  Your birthday!"  That made me smile all over.  I asked her to tell me about it and she said that it was "dot-dots and polka dots".  Yup.  That's what it is.  There is even a little smiley in there.


I had to explain to Buddy Boy many times over that it was MY birthday and so I got to decide what kind of party we had and what shape the cake would be.  He thought I should have a Blue's Clues party and cake.  I didn't invite all of his friends to my party, nor did I make a Blue cake.  I made this one.  I got suckered in by the picture.  I don't usually like white cake, but I tried it anyway.  I liked the idea of the lemon curd filling.  Mine didn't turn out as well.  I didn't let the filling set up enough before assembling the cake.  I thought the softer filling would moisten the cake but it didn't work out that way and let's just say it deconstructed itself. The cake was a little biscuit-y for a cake. It still tasted pretty good.  I don't know if I will make it again.  It took a long time to make and did you see how many eggs and how much butter is in there?


No comments: