When I grow up I want to be an artist. I find that saying that makes it more real and less of a wish. I do what I can on my own, but taking classes is tough with little kids. I haven't done much more than the occasional Saturday workshop at the local community college. When I heard about the online watercolor tutorial at wetcanvas.com I jumped at the opportunity to have a little class structure and feedback, but I also work at my own pace after the kids are in bed. It is perfect for my life right now. We are in the middle of week three right now. Each week Virgil posts a lesson and an assignment and those who are participating post their work and comments on the homework thread. The tutorial is on painting buildings loosely and colorfully. If you check out the tutorial thread you'll see that it is extremely colorful. There is no attempt at all to have colors realistic. I like it. Here's what I've done so far.
He has us start with a photo and make a sketch to get the perspective and values right and establish our "artistic intent" and center of interest.
Here is my first painting. It is only 5 x 7 inches, pretty small. It was tricky to get the perspective right on something so small. I used my half off coupon to Micheals to buy some bigger paper for next week. I wanted to show the evening light bouncing around under the overhang of the front porch and reflecting off the side of the house on to the ground.
Here's my sketch for week two. I got some very complimentary comments on it. I felt all warm and fuzzy. I've got it sketched out on my watercolor paper and I'll get to painting soon. I'll show it to you when I'm done.
I'm having a great time and learning a lot.
Thursday, November 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a fun class. You are so talented!
I love how talented you are and getting to see your talents through your blog. It is really fun to see what your creativity posts next on your blog. You are awesome!
Post a Comment