So, I've done a bit of sewing. It isn't a very exciting looking sweatshirt, but did you see the sleeves? Did you notice how long they are? Just to give some perspective, that's a 26 inch zipper. The sleeves come half way down the palms of my hands. It's wonderful. They are too long, really, but after years of a sweat shirt that looked like it had 3/4 length sleeves I'm enjoying it. I may bring them up a bit later, or maybe not.
It took awhile to get to this point. First, finding the fabric was tough. I wanted cotton sweatshirt fleece in something other than light heathered grey. I couldn't find it in our local stores in any color so I bought it online in grey and dyed it this mushroom brown. It isn't quite what I was going for. I would have like something a little richer, but it works. Then I was almost finished and realized that the fit was really pretty bad, so I took it mostly all apart and made it fit better. It isn't perfect, but it looks a lot less like I'm borrowing my husband's clothing.
By the way, if your husband likes colored cotton socks like mine does, white sport socks dye up nicely. The scout socks that carried him through the first many years of our marriage have gone the way after many years of faithful service. They have now been replace by brown socks that exactly match my sweatshirt.
Here is my latest scarf. The calendar says fall and although it is still warm it is definitely feeling fallish. So it's time to think of scarves and leaves and rich warm colors. The main colors are called brick and brass, very autumnal.
The large areas aren't very even, but I like it better that way. If this were a watercolor painting class I'd fail basic washes, but I think it makes it more interesting.
After washing out the resist I twisted it up like you used to do with broomstick skirts in the '80s. It is easier to wear with the crinkled texture rather than smooth. I have more ideas but I'm out of white scarves. Time to place another order.
2 comments:
The sweatshirt is awesome! Your patience amazes me!
Your scarves are so lovely!
Post a Comment