Thursday, October 17, 2013

Paintings

I've really been enjoying my painting class.  Even though it is one more thing to do and one more place to be I'm glad to be able to go.  It is my stress relief for the week.

Here are the things I've been working on.  The colors aren't exact.  It's hard to duplicate the originals and get the colors to turn out right.  The first two are about 8" x 10" and the flowers are about 4" x 6".

This one is an architectural detail of the Brigham City Tabernacle.  It's the light above the front door.  I like the pioneer gothic style of it.  It seemed overwhelming to paint the whole building so I just did a bit of it.  I still rely pretty heavily on photos for my drawings.  I'm working on my drawing skills when I can, but for now I just want to get in and paint.


The light and door had a lot of fussy details so next I did something bright and a little looser.  I actually took the photo of these Swiss cows on a trip years ago.  I would often photograph something thinking that someday I'll paint it.  I've seen other paintings of cows with colorful spots and I wanted to try it myself.  Now I'm painting and I'm digging through my old photos for source material.


These are little pansies that grew in my yard a few years ago.  This doesn't capture the richness of the color, but it does convey some of the freshness of the flowers.  This one isn't really finished looking, but I think I'm done with it anyway.


Hear is a peak at what I'm working on now.  I'm not loving it at the moment.  We'll see how it turns out.  It's a redo of a painting I did awhile ago for an online watercolor class.  I wasn't entirely pleased with that one either, but I like the original picture, so I keep going back.

No comments: