Thursday, July 2, 2015

One face three times

 
 
 
Sometimes there is a face you just need to draw.  I saw a photo portrait on Wet Canvas that I thought was really interesting.  It was of a Belizean man standing in the jungle looking off into the distance.  I liked the expression and the reflected colors in his face.
 
 
The first time I attempted this was as part of my sketch book for my drawing class.  I did it in charcoal on tan paper.  There were some things I liked, the hat and the smirky musculature at the corner of his mouth.  There were things that weren't quite right, his eyes and lips.  But, I liked it enough that I framed it and it was accepted into the student art show this spring.
 
Belezean, charcoal on paper 9" x 12"

The next attempt was in watercolor.  Not bad, but not that good either.  The colors were a little flat and the eyes weren't right again.

watercolor on paper 9" x 12"

This time I cropped it close to focus on the facial features and skin colors.  You wouldn't believe how many colors I put into that skin and the eyes, green, yellow, blue, hot pink, purple.  Making the eyes bigger helped me get them right.  Much, much better.  I think this is one the best paintings I've done so far.


No comments: