I recently got an e-mail from and NGO in Washington DC asking me if I wanted to do some writing for them as a consultant. I was excited about the project and the opportunity to work with them and keep a finger in the professional world. I jumped at the chance.
A day later I realized that I had over committed myself. I didn't want to have to go to work at 10:00 pm after a full day of kids. I only have a few hours a week to work on my own things and I didn't want to take it all up with this project. It just isn't what I need to be doing right now. It had only been a day and I could feel the stress beginning to build.
I had to go back and tell them I couldn't do it. That was tough to do. I was sure that they would never talk to me again. However, they called me back and asked me if I wanted to reconsider and take on the project. I explained why I couldn't do it as the baby was crying in the background. Fortunately she was understanding and even said that they frequently have similar projects and I might be able to work with them in the future when I have more time. It was flattering to have them say they would like me to work with them and it felt even better not to do it.
Friday, July 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment