
The author David McCullough quoted someone during an interview saying that to write well is to think clearly. I've thought about that as I have tried to write or reviewed writings. Which comes first writing well or thinking clearly? For some people writing well comes easily and just flows from their pen (or keyboard). I find that for me the process of writing helps focus my thinking and conversely that when I have thought clearly to begin with the writing is clear and concise and better because of it. I often think and revise and go back and think some more. It takes time and doesn't come easily. I do agree that good writing reflects and conveys clear thought.
1 comment:
I want to add to your comment about writing and thinking. One option that writing presents is the critiquing process that occurs while we write compared to verbal expressions. Verbal expressions does not present the opportunity to be critiqued until after you have embarrassed yourself. Rephrasing and restating are just some of the ways to critique verbal expressions. Yet written expression is put on paper and then hashed to pieces. There are many times when I wish I could 'edit' those things that I just said, so I didn't sound stupid.
Post a Comment