Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Wordful Wednesday - Inner Beauty

When I think of this I am reminded of a conversation I had with my older brother when we were both in our early 20's. He said that some girls got better looking as you got to know them better and for others the opposite occured. I think that speaks to their inner beauty (or lack of it) that came out as he got to know them better and see it.



I was watching a progam on PBS about love and men and women. They did a study that demonstrated that married partners in good relationships perceived their partners as closer to the ideal beauty than they really were. The opposite was true if the relationship was not going well. They were "seeing" what they felt. Have you ever looked at a couple and wondered, "What does she/he see in him/her?" There is so much more than what you see on the surface or what you get on a first impression. Inner beauty is in the eye of the beholder as well.




I was given some good advice as a teenager to seek beauty in all things. You can usually find something beautiful about a person if you are willing to look and, more importantly, listen. I think that inner beauty is the goodness and quiet confidence that makes a person more attractive.

What are others saying on wordful Wednesday?

2 comments:

Montserrat said...

My brothers are finding out the same thing your brother observed. My sister is also finding out it works the other way too with men.

My husband and I joke all the time that somebody or other will say that about us, "What does he see in her?"

Thanks for participating! We do it again in two weeks but I'll announce the next topic next Wednesday.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Dh and I talked about this concept when we were dating. Social psychologists call it "The propinquity effect" which is the tendency for people to form friendships or romantic relationships with those whom they encounter often. Maybe like you say its because they see the inner beauty.