I also love to sing the Christmas hymns at church each year. This is one time that I wish the Christmas season was longer. There just aren't enough weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas to sing them all as much as I would like to. To me the ideal program for a Christmas sacrament meeting would be to sing and sing and sprinkle a few scriptures in between to rest our voices.
I love to listen to Handel's Messiah. That music has such power. In high school I got to perform with a community group that did parts of it one year. That was a lot of fun. I have a copy of the score and some day when the kids are older I want to go to a sing along.
As far as individual songs go, my favorites are more spiritual than carol, Rise up Shepherd and Follow and Go Tell It on the Mountain. One of the records my parent have has a man with a fabulously deep voice singing Rise up Shepherd. It is great!
There's a star in the east on Christmas morn.
Rise up shepherd and follow.
It will lead to the place where Jesus's born.
Rise up Shepherd and follow.
This comes close:
I love the joy and exuberance of Go tell it on the Mountain. Sometimes I think that our selection of hymns lacks a little zing. My in-laws have a recording of Mahalia Jackson singing this that is fantastic, but a little slow.
Here for more holiday music favorites
2 comments:
I can't believe I've never heard of Rise Up Shepherd and Follow. I grew up hearing Peter, Paul, and Mary sing Go Tell It On The Mountain.
I had to laugh when reading your comment about hymns at church lacking some zing. When I was little and living in Miami there was an older lady who was new to the church. She was called to be the organist. She used to play in dance halls so her left hand was always jazzing the hymns up. She'd also start playing the postlude music before you could finish saying amen. It was hilarious! But we loved it. ☺
I love that I've learned about new songs through this 'assignment'! Thanks for sharing...and I agree that our hymns could use a little spice once in a while, or at least be sung fast enough! :)
Post a Comment