Wednesday, August 5, 2009

...and one jar of cherries

I haven't done a lot of canning since leaving home. Mom would put various fruit and tomatoes in bottles by the bushel. This year my brother in law and his friends "adopted" a peach tree from a farmer in the central valley. For the adoption fee you get the privledge of picking all of your own peaches from your tree and taking them home with you. My share of the crop this year ended up being about 28 pounds of peaches and they graciously allowed me to skip the peach picking part. (Been there, done that.) I bottledmost of them and saved a few of those that were less ripe to eat all week long. I also did one bottle of cherries from the bag than was languishing in the refrigerator. I may do a few tomatoes depending on how the backyard harvest turns out or I might just eat them all myself.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

yummy! They look so pretty too! I've only jarred applesauce and apple pie filling... brown...