Sunday, August 29, 2010

Kindergarten here he comes!

With all of the travel and moving the start of school sort of snuck up on me.  School shopping consisted of a trip to Target to buy one of the six remaining lunch bags on the shelf.  I'm glad that there was a Spiderman bag left since that was just what he wanted and what I would have gotten him anyway.

He is excited to go, especially since he has one of his good friends in his class.  I am glad to have something for him to do.  He is getting tired of watching me clean and unpack.

Dad took him to school on his way to work.  The kidergarten kids start each day with Book Browse, a 10 minute reading time with the parents.  I think it probably helps with the separation anxiety, for the parents that is.  After school I asked him how the day went, "Awesome" and what he did , "Play.  That's all."  So far so good. 

When I went to wake him up for the second day his response was, "Again!  I'm so exhausted."  It is a long day.  Our district has full day kindergarten.  That is a lot for a little kid, but they do adapt to it after awhile... eventually... so I've heard.  (I could go on about how I think it is catering to working parents and excessive academic pressure, but I'll spare you the diatribe.)  He wanted me to come pick him up at recess so that he could come home early, but no, I assured him that I would be there when school was over.  After school he had had a great day.  There wasn't much commentary, but there were a lot of smiles.


By the end of the week he didn't want to go any more.  He had a cold and just wanted to stay home.  I dosed him up with cold medicine and sent him anyway.  He still came out smiling.  In a letter from the teacher he is quoted as saying that his favorite thing about school is "everything".  I hope he continues to enjoy it while he gets used to the long days.  I think a weekend of rest and play will help.

No comments: