Monday, June 6, 2011

the centurian

Each week in Primary (Sunday School) a couple of the kids give short talks.  It is great to help them understand the gospel and also great public speaking practice.  Today was Buddy Boy's turn.  I'm never sure how he will repond to a situation like this.  He can be nervous and quiet or he might jump up in front of his class for a little interpretive dance.  I just never know, but I think it all depends on his mood at the moment.  We had prepared and practiced.  I wasn't sure I could convince him to even give it a try so we worked in ancient Rome, his favorite thing right now, and he seemed OK.  Before church he was really nervous.  But once he got started, with me by his side pointing to the words as he read, he did just fine.  I was really proud of him for working through his fears.  It is a big step for him.

Here's the talk.
I am very interested in ancient Rome. Jesus and his apostles lived when Jerusalem and the country around it were part of the Roman Empire. There was a Roman soldier named Cornelius who was a righteous man who believed in God, prayed, and gave money to the poor.


One day an angel appeared to Cornelius and told him to send men to go find the apostle Peter and invite him to come and visit. So Cornelius sent his men to find Peter.

One morning Peter was praying and saw a vision from God. It was a vision of all different animals together. After the vision Cornelius’ men arrived at Peter’s house and invited Peter to come to Caesarea to visit Cornelius. Peter went with them the next day. At that time Jews, like Peter, were not allowed to visit Romans.

When Peter met Cornelius he knew that he was a righteous man and that it was OK to visit him. Peter also understood his vision about the animals. It meant that everyone who is righteous and has faith in God can be baptized. Peter taught Cornelius and his righteous friends and family. They felt the Holy Ghost and wanted to be baptized.

I know that when we have faith in Jesus Christ and repent we can be baptized and receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
For the full story see Acts 10.

1 comment:

Sea Star said...

I am sorry I missed it. I am glad he was able to stand up there in front of everyone and give a talk. Good for him!