I've seen freezer paper stenciling on other blogs like here and here and I decided to give it a try. You basically take freezer paper, cut a design, iron it on, and paint away. I used my new toy to cut the stencils. It is a Silhouette SD cutter. It's like a printer except that it cuts instead of printing. The advantage to this over other similar cutters is that you can make your own designs and use any regular font. You can also download and buy premade designs. I made the mermaid and downloaded the dinosaur skull. I found the bone font on Dafont. It is just called Bone.
Before I started the stenciling I had to modify the t-shirt. I was inspired by Dana and her t-shirt remakes. The shirt is a size 6-8 and needed to end up a size 4T. The neck was actually a good size. I made a box pleat from front to back over the shoulder to get the shoulder seam in the right place and make it more of a dress. I then took a seam under the arm to raise the arm's eye and made another box pleat on the sides. The sleeves have yet another box pleat at the hem to pull them in a bit. I didn't take any pictures of this process. I was just winging it, trying it on Little Darlin' in between steps. She loves her new t-dress. Then it was time to paint. I used my Silhouette to cut the stencils and ironed them on the shirts.
For weeks and months Buddy Boy has been saying he is a paleontologist. He has moved on a bit to archeologist, but still returns to the dinosaurs sometimes. The t-rex skull is sneaking up from the side to bite and then it says paleontologist down the front, not your typical t-shirt.
It was a lot of fun and pretty quick and easy. I have plans for more. We'll see when I get to them.

No comments:
Post a Comment