Here's my latest sewing project. I really like the idea of the maxi dresses I see around. The only problem with the dresses in the stores is that they aren't long enough, and they are generally sleeveless, the neck is often too low, and I'm not a 20 year old hippie. I guess that's four problems. Three, since being a non-20-year-old non-hippie isn't a problem. So I decided to try to make one. I don't sew with knits a lot, but I'm doing more lately. Finding fabric wasn't easy. There aren't a lot of knits around and printed knits are even harder to find. I found this at Hart's in Santa Cruz. They also sell fabric online which is handy, but it is also nice to be able to see it and feel it before buying. This fabric is a lightweight knit that is SUPER soft and very stretchy and drapey. That made it a bit tricky to work with, but the pattern was simple so it wasn't too much of a problem. The print isn't what I originally had in mind, but I think it works. There is a small white floral print on the grey that hides any errors in the sewing and any lumps and bumps underneath, which is just what I wanted. Who wants a dress that is comfy enough for a night gown that requires "shape wear". I'm still working out how to accessorize. I did find out that if I wear the fabric belt high and my hair pulled back the dress is decidedly Jane Austen. Dad and Buddy Boy like it. My Girl thinks it needs to be shorter. The fashion critique begins.
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's beautiful, Alison! And I agree, very Jane Austen-esque!
Post a Comment