We had a couple of fun field trips. The first was to SLAC, the Stanford linear accelorator, with the Cub Scouts. It was pretty interesting even though there really isn't that much to see. One of the Cub Dads works there so he told us all about the research that goes on there and how it works. It was originally designed for particle physics research. It is still the longest linear accelorator, but most of that has not moved to the CERN in Europe. It is now used in part as a source of high energy X-rays for things like X-ray chrystalography. I had a great time. I think the kids got something out of it. If nothing else, my kids got to see the cool thing their great grandfather built.
During winter break we headed up to the City on a rainy day to go to the California Academy of Sciences with Grammie. I think everyone else in town did too. It was pretty busy, but we did get to see a lot of great exibits. We went in the earthquake simulator. Grammie remembered the big one in '89. The simulator didn't quite compare to the real thing. My favorite was the rain forest.
I love the butterflies....
and the tree frogs. For some reason I'd never realized that they were so small. They had several different species and most were quite tiny.
We also saw the aquarium.
My Girls demonstrated her fishy swimming moves.
Another great day out and about. We were all pretty exhausted at the end of it all, but it was fun.
Sunday, March 31, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment