Monday, August 26, 2013

First week of school

The first day and the first week of school have come and gone.  Here are the photos.  Dad and I both went so that I could put my shoes on and take photos as we drove.


Both kids were pretty excited and happy to be going.  Buddy Boy is pretty familiar with the routine by now.  It was good to see his friends greet him on the sidewalk and in the courtyard before school.  Unfortunately most of his friends are in the other class this year, but I seem to mind more than he does. 



It was the big day for My Girl.  Kindergarten is a big step.  She is more than ready, but she was still nervous since she only knows one boy in her current class from preschool.  Many of the other kids are familiar faces from three years of picking up Buddy Boy.  One interesting thing about her class is that it is 2/3 girls and 1/3 boys.  That will either be great for my super-social girl, or not so great if it means lots of girl drama, or most likely, it will be both.  At the end of the first day she had loved it so much that she wanted to go back after dinner.  She just couldn't wait until morning.  I hope the enthusiasm lasts.


For me this means more quiet time at home during the day.  Not completely quiet, since Dad works from home most mornings and some afternoons as well.  Don't worry.  I haven't had a problem filling the hours.  One of my time fillers is my school job working with the Potions Center at school.  Once a week I will be teaching introductory chemistry to small groups of K-2 graders.  I taught this when Buddy Boy was in Kindergarten, now I am one of the two people in charge.  I think this will be fun.  I really enjoyed it last time.  The Potions center is part of one of my two classroom work shifts each week.  I like knowing the kids and what they are doing in class.  It helps me reinforce it at home. 

At the end of September I also start teaching at the nearby Jr. College again.  My first class was last Winter quarter.  This fall I have two classes, one on Friday while the kids are in school and one on Saturday.  They are both the same class I taught last Winter.  I don't mind the teaching, but it sure chews up the weekends.

No comments: