Wednesday, May 7, 2014

My latest painting - French Vanilla

This is my sister-in-law many years ago eating ice cream at an outdoor café in France.  I hope she doesn't mind that I painted her picture.  Maybe I should have asked first.  Perhaps I should have asked my father-in-law as well.  I used his photo and cropped a bit and drew in a bit of her left arm and left out here sister's elbow, just a little artistic license I guess. I kept the background light and very soft so that it doesn't compete with the main figure.  A bit of that could be cropped off without losing anything.  It is 9 x 12, but could easily be matted smaller, which might be better.
 
Overall I'm quite happy with it.  The eyes were a bit tricky, but I think I pulled it out.  For a little while they were looking in different directions.
 
I've decided I like painting people.  Bucolic landscapes don't interest me at all right now.  I find all the green both difficult and uninteresting.  I'm also intrigued by the loose wet cityscapes I've seen others do.  I might try my had at that... later.  I have a few ideas more ideas of people pictures I want to do.
 



No comments: