Monday, April 6, 2015

The Penguin Project

Every once in awhile I take on something that ends up being a much bigger project than I anticipated.  I just don't always think it through.  This is what happened with the penguin project.
 
In first grade they do a big weeks long project studying penguins.  In the past they have made life sized penguins out of paper for their final project.  This year My Girl's teacher thought it would be fun to make them out of fabric.  She doesn't sew.  I said I would help because I like making stuffies out of fleece.  I wasn't thinking about how much work it would be to make 22 of them.
 
 
The class was divided into expert groups and each group came up with a drawing.  There were emperor penguins, king penguins, gentoo penguins, little blue penguins, and chin strap penguins.  For patterns I used drawings the kids had done.  I simplified and modified them just a bit in some areas, but it was basically the kids drawing.


Grandma and Grandpa were here during Penguin Week so Grandma came to school to help us help the kids cut out the front and back of their penguins.  Most of them did an OK job with this.  It was a lot of cutting for the bigger penguins.  I cut out the details for the front, sewed them onto the white front part then sewed the front to the black (or blue) back.


We then took them to school for the kids to stuff.  They got to watch me sew the bottom up and dew on the button eye.  Most of them had never seen a sewing machine before.


All I can say is that it was a good project to have finished.  I don't regret doing it, but it isn't something that needs to be repeated.  I told the teacher that the value for the amount of work was low.  I felt a little sorry for some of the parents.  A lot of us live in places that aren't that big and these birds take up a lot of room.  My husband even saw one emperor penguin being carried home by a parent on a bicycle.  That would have been quite the sight.

The kids loved them and made me some lovely thank you notes.  They told me what they named them and that they sleep with them.  One even went on vacation with its new family.

Thanks for the help Grandma!

No comments: