Thursday, September 27, 2007

What is the "good" life?

There have been several times when I have stepped back and said, "What am I doing here?" Usually it has been a little while after a big change, after the dust has settled and I have time to think and breath again. At times like this I have thought about what it is that I really want to be doing. Here are a few things that I have come up with.

Live proactively
Enjoy life
Make my corner of the world a better place
Seek beauty
Be informed
Be wise
Find peace through troubled times
Seek spiritual refinement
Give your best effort without regret
Love yourself and others
Share with family

None of these things is really tied to the material aspects of what some may think of as the good life. However, having enough of the material things of life makes the other things easier. Living on the financial edge is pretty uncomfortable for me. I have always worked hard to make sure that I knew I had a relatively comfortable place to live and enough extra to indulge in some of the fun that is beyond the necessities of just making it through. This has also allowed me the mental and emotional energy to pursue some of the things that make life better.

No comments: