Over the holidays we went out to dinner with a former MBA classmate of Daddy. She is not currently employed, has a two year old and is expecting her second. She asked me if I was bored staying at home. I think that she might be. I have to say that I'm not bored. I don't miss my job even though it is one that is considered to be "intellectual" and "fullfilling". It was fulfilling is a bad way. It was filling my life full of stuff that wasn't really important. I now get to the end of the day and wonder where the time has gone. It is challenging in a different sort of way. Instead of trying to save the hungry children of the world my challenge is to feed two little ones.
It is a challenge to keep one step ahead of a two year old. The other day Buddy Boy was climbing on the cupboards while I was feeding the baby. The first time I caught him he had his fingers in the sugar bowl, the second time he was licking the salt shaker, and the third time he wanted to make cake and had a mix out of the box and was in to the the bag. All of this was in less than 20 minutes. After that we made cake.
I get my intellectual challenge by trying to keep Buddy Boy interested, learning, and engaged in life. That doesn't happen on the mornings I let him watch too much TV so that I can clean the house and do the laundry without his help. I also read the news and books for my book club or just for fun. Reading always gives me something to think about when my hands are busy. My husband also helps a lot by talking about economics, politics, and some totally random and obscure topics that keep me thinking. Even an episode of the Simpsons can trigger deep thoughts that we talk over. Like George the monkey said life is neverdull if you are curious.
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment