Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Ophelia and Cain


I have recently finished reading two books about raising children and protecting their emotional growth. In each case the examples of the lives of children and teens were less than encouraging about the situations kids face today. It would be easy to assume that at some point all kids will be victims of or perpetrators of violence or cruelty, and discrimination or disadvantage based on their gender. I had to remind myself that the authors were therapists who saw the worst cases and didn't deal with healthy happy kids very much. While they quoted statistics showing the frighteningly high numbers of kids with problems, there are still many, very many who run the gauntlet of junior high and come out OK and perhaps even stronger for the difficulty.

For as disconcerting as the stories were at times, I am glad that I read them so that I can help to prepare my kids from a young age to be empathetic and strong. Not an easy thing to do.

For as much as I might want to at times, it is impossible to keep kids out of harms way. You can't shelter them forever. You may be able to delay their entry into the "real world", but then they may miss out on the growth that can come from the interaction.

The take away message for me was that kids do best when both parents are present physically and emotionally, and when the kids know they are loved for who they are and at the same time know the limits of acceptable behavior. I am very blessed to have a husband who is empathetic and shows emotion. I am also blessed to have examples of Christlike behavior to teach the kids about. The author's advice on raising boys ran through my mind as I listened to the Sunday School lesson last week on Captain Moroni, Helaman and his warrior sons. They were couragous and strong, but still had a spiritual soft spot and loved their mothers. I love the example of Queen Ester and her courage to stand up for her people. She was a great example of strength.

I'll do my best, then pray.

No comments: