Thursday, September 4, 2008

Wordful Wednesday - Finding Joy


Do we find joy or does it find us? I don't really know the answer to this question. I guess it depends on how we go about it.

I find joy by "living the good life" in my own way, pursuing life, and joy comes along.

If we pursue joy, happiness, pleasure while ignoring all else, we aren't likely to find it. We may end up missing it if our focus turns inward and becomes self centered. You aren't likely to find joy if you constantly ask yourself why you aren't happy. That approach only amplifies the negative. Instead of chasing after it, notice it when it happens. Every once in awhile my husband will look up and say, "I'm experiencing domestic bliss." (Yes, he really says domestic bliss.) These are usually times when we are just hanging out as a family, nothing special. He reminds me to enjoy the moment and recognize the good times when joy found me.

other thoughts on Wordful Wednesday

3 comments:

Montserrat said...

I think you made an excellent point that we miss JOY when we focus on ourselves. Spending time with others, serving them brings us joy which I think is why our families bring us the greatest joy because we serve them the most.

Thanks for participating!

crabapple farm said...

Awesome idea! This post reminded me of C. S. Lewis when he said he was "surprised by joy". It can sneak up on us if we're doing other things, but we miss it when we try to find it.

Salisbury Family said...

I love this post...sometimes joy, like a rainbow...comes after the hardeset times, and when seeking for joy..you avoid the hard times.
I find joy in this September. It has been the best one in a long time...and I know that, because I haven't always had great Septembers.
Thanks for helping me recognize this!