When I first saw this topic I thought of a previous post also inspired by a song. According to a certain personality test I am an ISFP, an introverted, sensing, feeling, perciever. I think it describes me fairly well. But things such as this don't really capture the essence of a person.
For a long time I had a hard time letting others see the real me, what I thought and what I felt. It was easier to try to project an ideal rather than just be me. It can be difficult to let others see your true self, warts and all. At times it is even more difficult to acknowledge to yourself and others the things that are good or great about yourself. I used to feel like if someone else did something better than I did then I wasn’t good at it. That doesn’t make much sense when I see it written out that way, but I still felt that way. I have gotten over that for the most part and I am doing better at accepting my weaknesses and acknowledging my strengths.
This is me…
I am…
Smart – not because of years in school, but because I know what I don’t know and I am always learning.
Beautiful – not because of the way I look, but because I seek for beauty.
Artistic – not because I can draw, but because I like to create things with my hands that are expressive or bring me joy.
Spiritual – not because I go to church, but because I am a child of God.
Stubborn – sometimes this looks like strength or tenacity, usually it is just stubborn.
Loving – because my family loves me.
All of these attributes and others help me fill my different roles. At different times I have been or I am…
A wife, mother, sister, daughter, scholar, professional, artist, musician, chef, athlete, friend.
At different times different roles take priority. Sometimes they fall away for awhile or dominate, but they are still there and a part of the way I see myself.
Chocolate On My Cranium: Wordfull Wednesday: This is Me
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It is so true that the different phases of our life bring out different qualities and attributes. They may fade into the background later but they never go away. They have added more to what we are.
I took that same personality test years ago. If I remember right I am INTP. (Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Perceiving) It seemed to fit me at the time. I always wonder if those tests would get different results depending on when you take them and what is going on in your life or as you put it which role is dominant at that moment.
Post a Comment