Thursday, October 9, 2008

Adventures in baking

Now that the weather has cooled I am starting to bake again. I just can't justify turning on the oven in an 85 degree kitchen. Here are the results.

PEAR TART


I made a pretty yummy pear tart with only a minor mistake. I was inspired by one I saw on another blog. I didn't use their recipe for some reason, but I like the one I found. Mine didn't look as good, but I liked it anyway. I used the wrong variety of pears (Bosc) and I think they were a little too green. As a result they weren't quite sweet enough and they were a little too firm. I love the flavor of pears with mace. I don't use mace much. I am much more familiar with cinnamon and nutmeg. It is great for a different twist. The layer of toasted almonds between the crust and fruit was also very tasty.


HALLAH BREAD


I made some Hallah/challah bread on Yom Kippur. It was a whim. Dad has been trying to convince a friend of his that we celebrate Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. That would be a good thing, except we aren't Jewish. So the leg pulling continues with a gift of Hallah bread. I love the way it looks when it's braided. It is traditionally braided with six strands in two loaves, twelve total for the twelve tribes of Israel. I found a video showing how to do the braid. It looks pretty cool but I used a different recipe. I just couldn't bring myself to use a recipe that recommends Splenda, not authentic.

1 comment:

Montserrat said...

The bread looks abosultely stunning. I may have to try that recipe today or tomorrow to warm up the house. It's cold!