What a beautiful weekend. We went to visit family in Santa Cruz and ended up at Natural Bridges State Beach. We went for the butterflies, not the beach. Each winter the migrating monarch butterflies come to the same eucalyptus grove for shelter. They are here October through March. On warm sunny days they are flying around. When it is cooler they are unable to fly and stay together in the trees sometimes in big drippy fluttery clumps. Either way it is beautiful. It just happened to be the welcome back monarch event at the park. There were butterfly crafts, songs, cookies and more.It also happened to be the Santa Cruz open studio day. My Sister in law's neighbor makes beautiful jewelry from glass lampworked beads and silver. It is always fun to see what she has been making. I am lucky to have some of her earrings. I love them. I am fascinated by glass artwork, stained glass, blown glass, and lampwork. There is just something really cool about the heat and the color and the way the glass changes forms. In the finished pieces the light through the colored glass is something that just cannot be duplicated in paint or pencil.
1 comment:
I keep thinking we need to make it down there to see the Monarchs Butterflies. I am sure the kids loved it!
Post a Comment