Thursday, December 18, 2008

Painted cookies


A family tradition from my Grandmother is painted Santa sugar cookies at Christmas time. The "paint" is food coloring so they are completely edible. I tried them this year and this is the end product. The the dough was too sticky for the traditional red plastic Santa cookie cutter so we made candy canes and trees instead. The idea is right and they look kinda cute, but didn't taste that great. I am still searching for the perfect sugar cookie recipe. In my trial and error searching I am wondering if I really like sugar cookies. Maybe I just like frosting and thought I liked the sugar cookies underneath. The search continues. I think I will try something closer to shortbread next time.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Steven and Merilee Swain said...

Hey Alison!

Love the memories associated with those Santa cookies! Have you tried the Betty Crocker sugar cookie recipe? That's the one I use and it always works for me.

Now I think I will make some Santa cookies tomorrow! Smile

Merilee

Becky said...

I love my sugar cookie recipe but it is extremely soft...not good for cut-out cookies without A LOT of patience... but it works well in my cookie press. It really is delicious. It's under "recipes" at my blog- you are welcome to take a look.

Good luck with your search!

Becky said...

Sorry...blogger's not linking to my blog through my comment...

my blog is: beckysonceuponatime.blogspot.com

just in case you want to give them a try. :)