Monday, January 18, 2010

More fabric swatches


I am still having fun with the Spoonflower fabric design contests.  This week's theme was crayons.  You had to do the design with actual crayons and then use a scanner or camera to digitize the image, no computer generated vector graphics or anything like that.  The idea was to be as low-tech as possible. 

I tried out two different floral designs even though you can only submit one for the contest.  I drew the original design then scanned it and printed it on colored paper.  I colored them with my trusty 64 pack crayons from the 1st grade.  (The box still has the dragon face sticker over the sharpener hole and a 19 on the front for my cubby hole number.)  I then rescanned the designs, cleaned them up a bit to make sure the edges match and there you have it.  I found a couple of online tutorials on how to make a repeating pattern work that helped a lot.  A lot of time spent on something that is absolutely meaningless but a lot of fun.

In my last effort, the little quail, I got 192 votes which placed me #39 out of 82 entries.  I am pleased with that for my first try.  This time I submitted the blue floral.  Maybe it is because my Grandma liked turquoise blue cabbage rose prints.  The carpeting in her bedroom was blue roses on a white background.  Needless to say we weren't allowed in there.

I like them both and had a hard time choosing.  Which is your favorite?

P.S.  I'll let you know when the crayon contest opens in case you want to vote (for me). :)

2 comments:

Becky said...

Oh my gosh...you still have your 1st grade crayons?! That is so cool.

Mark said...

I like the yellow and red best...