Spoonflower is a web site that does custom fabric printing. If you can create a digital image they will print it on fabric for you. They have regular theme contests for anyone willing to submit a design. I love to look at what people are doing and vote for my favorites. I have a few general criteria for my voting. 1) Do I like it enough that I would buy it in a fabric shop? 2) Does it seem to be technically good. For this I look mostly at the design repeats. Are there images that are cut off? Do things line up and look like an overall pattern or just a bunch of blocks stuck together? 3) Does it follow the theme of the week.
I decided that I could do something that would be as good as some of the things that I had seen submitted. So I gave it a try. This week the theme was birds, with a restricted color palette, meaning you were limited to five different colors and white. It was harder than it looks given my extremely limited ability at digital image creation and manipulation. I couldn't do what I had in my head so I Gimp'd a couple of cute little quail instead. It is a border print, so if you used it to make a skirt or curtains you would have a little family of quail standing in the grass growing around the hem. I like the way it turned out even though it is quite simple and pretty amateur. However, go ahead and vote for for my little birdies if you like them too.
Here is the link to the contest page and the list of entries. There were a lot of entries this week. You can vote for as many designs as you like, but you can only vote one time. My entry is called quail_2.
Friday, January 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I didn't see a place to vote (I think I was too late), but I actually prefer your design to those on the site--they were too cluttered. I like the simplicity of the quails.
Post a Comment