This week's Spoonflower contest is all about the bugs. Here is my entry
It is a fairly simple border print. I like it. I went through many different color combinations, but settled on this one. I also liked this one
I think the yellow and grey make a nice subdued spring color combination.
Here is the link for voting. The themes for the next couple of weeks are Love and Steam Punk. I think I'll sit these out. Except that yesterday Buddy boy asked me if I had ever seen a train with wings. Hmmm....
Alison
Friday, February 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Hi Alison,
Some questions from the fabric-illiterate:
1: Why would you want a fabric that repeats on only one direction as this one does?
2: Is it less versatile as one that repeats in both directions
3: How would you use this fabric, or what kind of projects would this fabric work well with?
By the way, it's really pretty and I did vote for it!
They call this a border print when it has an edge in the pattern along one side like this instead of all over. You can use designs like this for the bottom edges of curtains or dresses. A lot of laces have a border like this. You can cut and sew it so that the border runs along four sides of a square for quilts, pillows, table clothes etc. Many prints have a "top" and "bottom" or a definite direction of some sort to them. With border prints the "bottom" is along what would usually be the side.
I am thinking I will get some of this and have a blue stripe that runs along the bottom edge of the skirt with the butterflies flying up. It might be less versatile, but it also gives you a look that an all over print can't.
Now I'm off to watch Project Runway!
Post a Comment