Thursday, July 14, 2011

the all day all night gown

My girl made a very specific request for a pink sleep dress with short sleeves.  Hmmm.  Luckily I had a plain pink t-shirt on hand.  I picked up a couple in different colors at our local drug store when they were on sale for 2 for $5.  You can't buy the fabric for that price.  Since this was an adult size large shirt I couldn't just pull in the shoulders and call it a day like I did with the mermaid dress

I cut the shirt across the body just under the armhole and used a pattern for a little girl dress that I already had for the bodice and sleeves.  I used the neck and hems that were already in the shirt to make it easier for me.  The neck is a little big, but I figured that it would be just that much easier for her to get on and off.  I also cut it out extra big thinking that she would wear it for sleeping, silly me.  The only sewing were the bodice side seams, the sleeves, the gather on the skirt and sewing it on.  I used a narrow ziz zag stitch which worked great for this cotton knit.  I also top stitched the seam around the middle and had to redo one of the sleeves when I put it on inside out.  Without that the whole thing takes less than an hour.


Here is the finished product. 


(Some days you just can't get the picture you want.)

She decided she wanted to wear it ALL the time.  So I made one in lavendar too.  The shirt I started with was a medium so the neck was a little smaller which was probably a good thing.  It's just the same but I added puffed sleeves.  I think I like the plain sleeves better.  I'm just not a lavendar ruffly type person.  The only things in my closet with ruffles are a dark olive drab and I like it that way.  I have to temper the ruffles with a little masculinity like a militant color.  Anyway.  It's cute and quick and fun.  I may get around to doing some decorations like painting or stenciling or something else if I can get them off her little body.



No comments: