Saturday, July 16, 2011

Rainbow Daisies

For some reason I remember doing this a lot one summer as a kid.  We had a lot of big white daisies in the backyard and I thought it was really cool to turn them different colors so I tried it out with the kids.  Luckily I had the perfect vase, a wedding gift from a friend.  I like it because it looks like a row of test tubes all linked together.  All you do is put a little food color in the water and wait.

Here is how they started. 


We have some little daisies and a few great big ones to work with.

The color started to show a few hours in.  Here they are several days later.  Some of the daisies had started to fade a bit by the time I took the picture, but you can see the color.




I didn't have orange food color so I mixed red and yellow.  You can tell by looking at the daisy.  The color separates out and is sort of striped.  This isn't like the green one where I used green food color instead of mixing yellow and blue.

No comments: