Friday, September 30, 2011

Sew fun

Awhile ago I saw these shirts on Pinterest.  Since My Girl likes elephants and Buddy Boy has been trying to fly, I thought that they were the perfect thing.


So I made my own versions.  I love how the sleeve is the elephant trunk and the arms are the airplane wings.  So much fun.  Here is the airplane shirt for Buddy Boy.  At first it was WAY too big, but now it just fits.  Hopefully he won't grow too much in the next few weeks.  I have extra grey to lengthen the arms or body if needed.


I did the propeller and the rest with a freezer paper stencil. I had the metallic silver fabric paint, but the red is regular craft paint. I think that the fabric paint is better. It's thicker and more flexible when dry.  The red looks fine now, but I'm not sure how it will wear or wash.


And here is an action shot.


Now for the elephant.


I really like it.  It was a little short so I added a bit of a ruffle on the bottom.  I thought I had my bases covered.  Pink, check... elephant, check... ruffly bottom, check...


 Then I ran into a problem, an absolute refusal to wear long sleeves.  She wouldn't even try it on.  I'm really hoping she changes her mind when it gets cold.

4 comments:

Queen Elizabeth said...

Impressive!

Alice and Richard said...

I love them! What kind of fabric did you use?

Alison said...

I used the knit they had at JoAnns. I think the blue and pink were 100% cotton. The grey was a blend and slightly lighter weight, but it still worked.

L said...

I love, love the elephant! I'm also very partial to elephants, myself. :)