We have two lemon trees in the backyard. One is quite large and has plenty of lemons. They are still mostly green, but coming along nicely. The other is a small dwarf meyer lemon tree that we got as a wedding gift. It is well traveled having moved from California to Utah and back. Now that it is back in it's native land it seems happy, but is rather neglected. I actually got better and bigger lemons in my Utah living room where I had to baby it with special light, just enough water, and polinate the blossoms with a paint brush.
I've discovered that while I like the basic lemonade I like variations even better.
Basic Lemonade
2 quarts of water
Juice of 2 or 3 lemons about 2/3 cup
2/3 cup sugar disolved in 1 cup water
Variations
1. Sweeten with rose syrup instead of sugar. This is great hot or cold.
Rose syrup is bright pink and smells like roses. The flavor is fantastic in small doses. You don't need much. I had a bottle I got from a room mate ages ago. I think she got it from a friend. That bottle said made in Lebanon. I finally used it up and found more at the International market not far from here. Even though it is called an international market I believe the family who runs it is Lebanese so I was pretty sure to find it. They also have Halva, a wonderful sesame treat.
2. Muddled mint, cinnamon stick, and anise.
We were out for lunch and the lemonade was so delicious. The waitress told me what had been added. I don't know anything about the amounts or how it is prepared. I'll need to experiment. You could see the mint floating in the pitcher. I could just add the extra ingredients to the lemonade and mix it around a bit or I could make a simple syrup infused with the cinnamon and anise. Any suggestions?
What's your favorite lemonade.
No comments:
Post a Comment