Here's what we've been reading lately. By "we" I mean she. My girl is starting to read. We figured out Buddy boy could read when at four years old he asked us to explain "all you can eat pizza". He'd read it off an ad at the pizza place. Until that point I didn't know he could read much of anything. I guess the Electric Company he had been watching worked. After that we got him books at the library to read himself. He loved it and still does.
My girl wants to read now, but she won't watch Electric Company so I guess I'll teach her. We talk about letters and their sounds as we do our thing during the day and read books like the sound box books below. I've also done a little with word families. Books like Play with "i" and "g" and the flip a word books by Harriet Ziefert help with that. Now she is starting the Bob books. She is very excited to have books that SHE can read.
Buddy Boy has been reading too of course. He is mostly interested in non-fiction. He has really been enjoying the Magic Treehouse Research Guides. We've read about ancient Rome, Greece, and Egypt, and pirates. Over the summer he read a lot about gems and crystals and caves. I love our library. Along with all this informational and hightly educational non-fiction, he reads Asterix and Obelix, Calvin and Hobbes, and Tin Tin. It was fun to watch him make the connection between the facts about Julius Cesear conquering the Gauls and Asterix. There's a Tin Tin movie coming out this December, but I think it might be too intense for the kids. We'll watch it on DVD in a few years.
Wednesday, October 19, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment