Ms. Melton talked about chronos and kairos, both Greek words for time, but vastly different in meaning. Chronos is the time measured by the clock, the minutes and hours that mark the day. Five minutes late for school, one hour until dinner, two hours until bedtime. Kairos is the right or opportune moment. As she put it, "Kairos is God's time. It's time outside of time. It's metaphysical time. It's those magical moments in which time stands still. I have a few of those moments each day. And I cherish them."
Gordon B. Hinkley quoted Jenkins Lloyd Jones. The reference was to marriage, but I think it applies to family life in general as well.
“Anyone who imagines that bliss [in marriage] is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he has been robbed.
“[The fact is] most putts don’t drop. Most beef is tough. Most children grow up to be just people. Most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration. Most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. …
“Life is like an old-time rail journey—delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed.
“The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride”
So in my intent to enjoy this year, it isn't about filling every moment with something exciting or splendid. It's more about more kairos, taking time to look up and enjoy the journey.

1 comment:
I read that article (part of it anyway, you posted to fb too, right?). I think I'd be really annoyed if people were always telling me to "cherish the moment." Nobody ever tells young professionals that. It's more like "this, too, shall pass." :) I like that you have a word of the year. I should think of one for my year. I think my major goal right now is to live life more deliberately instead of just letting it happen. Is there a word for that?
Post a Comment