Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The house that Grandpa built

When I was a girl my Dad made a doll house for me.  Mom and I then decorated it with bits of carpet and linoleum.  We even made curtains.  Fast forward a bunch of years.  The old flooring has been removed and the house has been repainted.  I intended to paint etc., but haven't gotten around to it yet and it doesn't seem to matter to My Girl one bit.  She likes to "decorate" the house and refers to it as "the house that Grandpa built for me".  She's only a generation off, but that's OK.  The house has gotten a lot of use lately.  These aren't the dolls I had as a girl, I honestly can't remember which dolls I used with the house.

The birds perch on top and the people tend to congregate on the terrace above the stable/garage.


There's a kitchen, a store, a very large bathroom with a fuzzy pink rug, and the baby's room.  The baby, I am told, likes to sleep in the hay.  I think that's a little hold over from Christmas.


The horses and unicorns are comfy in the stable/garage and also have a nice outdoor space they share with the pigs.


There's even a pond nearby for the mermaid and her baby.


We made a special trip to the fabric store for the field.  Luckily we found the perfect thing.

3 comments:

L said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
L said...

That is a seriously groovy dollhouse.

I had a three-story Barbie townhouse/condo when I was a little girl--because I am from LA--doesn't that sound very LA? Truth be told, I think I would have had lots more fun with your kind of house. (My parents, who are both second-generation Los Angeles natives, were raising a nor cal girl and they didn't even know it!)

Brooke said...

That is a great doll house! Looks like she loves it. I love the tiny kitchen things.