Cold fruity things are great for the summer. A friend gave us an ice cream freezer. (I think it was an unused wedding gift.) So we proceeded to freeze things. Our first attempt was the watermelon-limeade combo I've made in the past. Second into the freezer was TJ's Rio Ruby Grapefruit juice. It is really good frozen, a little sweet, a little sour, and just a bit bitter. Sounds strange, but it's a good combo. You can see that one in the back of the photo.
My mom used to make a frozen raspberry buttermilk shake sort of thing. The front image is blueberry buttermilk "ice cream". It's just what it sounds like, blueberries, buttermilk, and sugar in a blender, frozen. It tastes a lot like blueberry cheesecake to me. You get a pretty yogurty-cheesy taste. I like it, but it isn't for everyone.
I had the buttermilk because I have been making my sister-in-law's waffle recipe. I swore I would never make waffles that involved separating eggs and beating egg whites, but these are worth the effort. I sprinkle chocolate chips on once it is scooped on to the waffle iron. That isn't in the recipe, but it's a great addition. With the chips we skip sticky syrup and jam.
Happy eating!
Wendy's wonderful waffles
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 eggs separated
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup melted butter
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and soda.
Whisk egg yolks.
Whisk butter and buttermilkjin with yolks.
Add dry ingredients.
Beat egg whites and fold into batter.
No comments:
Post a Comment