Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Winged Victory

This is one of my favorite statues.  Possibly because I remember sitting in the Louvre on the side steps with my back to a massive pillar sketching it.  The whole scene is very impressive the way it sits up on a pedestal at the top of a grand staircase.


For this painting I chose a bit of a close up focusing on the torso and wing.  I wanted to do something colorful and quick after laboring for weeks and months on the watermelon picture.  I did this in a couple hours.  It isn't great, but it was fun to play.

 
I don't think the wing was very successful.  The rest is OK.  I actually rather like it cropped down.  That's a little better.  I may try another version, now that I have more of a sense of the lines and shadows, or maybe not.  If I try it again I'll use different colors and mix them to retain their clarity.  I have a lot of mud happening, or maybe it is just neutrals.  It was a fun little experiment.
 


No comments: