Saturday, September 25, 2010

Backyard Raisins

We moved in to a house with a nice little yard and a whole lot of grapes.  I'll save the fig tree for another post when I figure out what to do with those figs.  The grapes were finally ready for harvest last week so Dad picked them all and we had many more than we could eat or give away, even though we tried.  The thing was that they tasted and smelled a little funny.  They looked like the typical green grapes from the store, but the flavor and smell were a little different. 

Someone from work told Dad that they were muscat grapes.  That explains it.  So instead of trying to eat any more fresh I decided to try drying them for raisins.  I checked it out a little online, if you try drying them outside it can take 3-4 weeks.  I'm not that patient and the weather has been a little muggy and not very hot so I opted for the oven.  I kept it at 170 (the lowest temp on my oven) except when I was going to be away from home for a long time and overnight.  I started with this...


After 3 days or so I had this...


Tasty.  They didn't dry evenly so when the smallest ones were done I picked out the big ones for a couple more hours in the oven.  They are quite good and surprisingly different from regular grapes.  Good thing I like them.  I have four trays.


3 comments:

Sea Star said...

That is nice to move in with fruit already growing right outside the door. Grapes wouldn't last long in our house. But four trays of raisins does sound like you got way more than you could handle before they went bad.

My parents have a fig tree that just started producing. My Dad called and said my mom has been making fig bars (fig newtons). When we go up there next I hope to give them a try.

L said...

I LOVE muscat grapes. I discovered them at the farmer's market last year. I had to hunt a bit to find them this year, but it was worth it!

L said...

p.s. I wonder why it took me so long to find your blog?