Friday, December 23, 2011

More news

I've been waiting for the pathology results from my surgery last week.  I thought that I would get the news next week at my follow up appointment.  Last evening the surgeon called.  That isn't necessarily a good thing.  There was good news and not so good news.  The good news is that the margins were clear, meaning that the surgeon had removed all of the affected tissues with an acceptable margin of healthy tissue all the way around.  The not so good news was that there was a small area of invasive cancer.  The whole affected area was about 4 cm.  The invasive area was 0.9 cm and grade 2 instead of grade 1.  This means a bit of a change in plans.  I'll be going in for a bit more surgery to check the sentinel lymph node.  This will determine if the cancer has spread.  If it is clear that is obviously good news.  So more waiting.  This second surgery hasn't been scheduled yet, but will probably be in the next week or two.  Now that I've been through this once I'm not as worried about a second surgery and I'd rather get it over with and find out what we're dealing with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alison, I hope all goes well with the next surgery.
michelle