Monday, December 31, 2012

Leaves at Christmas

On Christmas day, in between rainstorms, I went for a little walk and collected a few leaves.  I love the leaves of the sweet gum tree.  They are so bright in the fall.  Even though it is December there were still plenty around on the trees and on the ground.  One of my Christmas gifts was a set of quinacridone watercolors.  These paints are rich and vibrant pomegranate reds, golds, and copper colors.  It just screams autumn leaves.  As a gift to myself I spent a little time painting.  Here is what I came up with.  Not perfect, but not bad for a first attempt.




It's hard to get a good photo on a stormy day so here it is with and without digital fussing to brighten it up.  Either way, you get the idea.  It was a lot of fun.  It made me want to dig out some of my old photos of South East Utah to paint.  I'm sure I spent enough time hiking and biking in Moab to get a photo worth painting.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

merry christmas! your cute family looks great! you sound busy as ever. I was just made the primary chorister (they were desperate), too bad we are not working together!