Monday, April 7, 2014

Kid portraits

I decided to try my hand at portraits.  I've always been intimidated by drawing and painting people.  But I thought I'd give it a try anyway.  I'm still at the stage where I transfer the image from a photo instead of drawing it free hand.  There's no way I'd get it right or even close without my handy dandy graphite paper. 

Someone advised me not to paint people you know, but I don't really want to paint people I don't know.  So I thought I'd start with the kids.  My Girl was first. 

One afternoon she was sitting at the table polishing and sorting apples.  I don't know why.  It just happened.  Then the light coming from behind was perfect and she had on a bright red bandana.  It was too good to pass up.  I had actually been taking pictures of the apples to set up a still life that I still have not gotten around to.  Pretty little girls with amazing eyelashes are much more fun to paint than apples.



Then there is Buddy Boy.  He has such a sweet smile.  The photo I painted this from was taken last summer at my friend's house.  We had spent the day exploring Dinosaur National Monument and were sitting on the back patio just enjoying the evening.  This is a reminder of a fun day.

No comments: