Sunday, January 16, 2011

Mighty What?

What do you get when you let a room full of five year olds choose the mascot for their classroom?  The classroom the teacher has decorated with monkeys.  You get the Mighty Marshmallow Monkeys.  The school has a tradition where each class has their own t-shirt with their class mascot on it.  There are surfing seahorses, puppy paws, dragon riders, and snowy Chloe's (Chloe is the class bunny) etc.

I volunteered to design the front of the shirt while the kids would each draw their own monkey for the back.  So how do you make a monkey mighty?  And how exactly do you incorporate the whole marshmallow thing?  This is what I came up with.  I like the marshmallow-y font.
and here are the kid's monkeys.  It is fun to see the variety and the personality in the drawings. 


The teacher said that she planned to have them printed on white and then let the kids tie dye them.  The thought makes me groan.  I hope it isn't on my work day.  She later said that she has some sort of spray dye that requires no heat setting.  Sounds much better (cleaner) than traditional tie dye, maybe.  Either way I'm sure the kids will love it.

No comments: