Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What do you do?

At the beginning of the school year I was meeting a lot of parents of other kindergarteners.  As often happens when you meet new people I was asked, "What do you do?".  Interesting question.  The typical answer is something about your current employment.  What if you aren't employed in the traditional sense?  What if what you do doesn't really define you in the way you want to be known?  I like this perspective from career blogger Penelope Trunk.  She says that most people are asking the question so that they can make a connection with you and learn more about you.  So your answer should reflect that.  Tell them what makes you different or interesting.  Tell them where you spend your time and energy and what you are learning.  Also, she says remember it's a conversation.  Ask about the person.  They may be asking because they have something they want to share.  "I'm at home with the kids" is kind of a conversation stopper in some circles or permanently detours the conversation to the kids in others, and I'm much more than that.  I need a better answer.  Or do I?  I know who I am and anyone who needs to know will find out eventually.

No comments: