In a rare moment of quiet my friend caught this picture of her son reading. I love the light and shadow and the fact that this very energetic and active boy is taking a moment to read.
Here is what I did with it.
There are some things I like and some things I'm not so sure about. The first thing is that in my version his hair isn't red, that's a not like, but I wanted to keep it simple. It is also rather flat with all that beige. I added a little more dark and trimmed the edges after "finishing" once, but it is still really beige. I didn't want big areas of dark to distract from the focal point of the boy, but I probably could have done more. With paper I couldn't really capture the glowing quality of the light you see in the photo. The hard edges don't lend themselves to soft glow. I like the boy, and the abstracted leaves through the window, the highlights on the back of the couch, and the white socks.
I learn a lot from each piece I do. More to come.
Monday, January 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment