Sunday, October 24, 2010

Apple spice syrup

Tragedy struck this morning when we ran out of maple syrup three waffles into breakfast.  Waffles just need syrup, not jam.  OK, lots of whipped cream and berries works, but we didn't have these things either.  So I came up with this:

Apple spice syrup
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple juice
5 shakes cinnamon
2 pinches cloves
2 shakes nutmeg
2 shakes salt
3 shakes black pepper (Why? I don't know.  I guess I watch too much Chopped.)

Combine in a small saucepan and heat until sugar is dissolved and syrup thickens slightly.  Done.  Serve over waffles and diced fresh pears.

This doesn't make much, but I wanted to try out the concept first.  Obviously the amounts on the spices are a little vague.  I guessed using the proportions from the banana bread I made yesterday, mostly cinnamon, very little nutmeg.  Cloves and nutmeg can be very strong.

P.S.  It is also very good for dunking bacon.  mmmm....

1 comment:

Jen said...

I know you hear it all the time, but I'll add one more...YOU ARE AMAZING!