The fig harvest has begun. I was pleased that our new house has a fig tree in the backyard. Tree might be overstating it a bit. I'm taller than the "tree", but there were a few dozen little green figs on it when we moved in this summer. Now the figs are bigger and green. I don't know what variety these are, but they aren't the black mission figs I see in the stores. They go from grass green to this sort of limey-granny smith apple color. Both very pretty, but it makes it a little tough to tell when it is time to pick them. If you wait too long you get this...
I love the colors, corally pink and yellow green, but I'm not sure about the overall effect once it is sliced open. Somehow it reminds me of some bodily organ that shouldn't be eaten. So I close my eyes and try to ignore it. After that, tasty!
If I ever get enough ripe at one time I'll try making jam. A little sugar, maybe a little lemon from the tree next to it. Sounds good.
2 comments:
You certainly have a well stocked back yard. My parents fig tree produced this year. It looks more like a bush at the moment too.Theirs is the kind that turns purple so they got most of them and made all sorts of fig bars, fig jam and we also just ate them right off the tree. I was actually surprised how yummy they were. I don't remember ever eating figs before. It is a little strange texture but the flavor is good.
I have never eaten a fig before. Maybe, I'll have to try one someday.
Michelle Butters
Post a Comment