Agreements
In each class at the beginning of the year they make a list of classroom agreements. Usually these would be called the class rules. The difference here is that they come from the kids (in theory) and the teacher so that everyone has their needs met. I wish I could have been there for that class meeting. It would have been interesting. You can do this on a large scale (classroom agreements) or fine tune it for a particular situation. Here is how it goes:
- Have a friendly discussion where every one gets to voice his/her feelings and thoughts around the issue.
- Brainstorm for possible solutions and choose one that both you and the child agree to. This isn't you telling the child what to do and expecting them to agree to it.
- Agree on a specific time deadline
- Understand children well enough to know that the deadline probably won't be met and simply follow through with your part of the agreement by holding them accountable.
President Gordon B. Hinkley spoke repeatedly about the shifting values of modern society and the degradation of morals.
“The world we are in is a world of turmoil, of shifting values. Shrill voices call out for one thing or another in betrayal of time-tested standards of behavior. The moral moorings of our society have been badly shaken."
- Gordon B. Hinkley
I don't think that the two approaches are mutually exclusive. By opening up the options you are not abandoning your needs. Part of the process is that both parties have their needs met. It may have been a little scary to this mom if she perceives this as giving up control and opening every little thing to endless negotiation. My thoughts on this are that if we think we are in control we are fooling ourselves, and that it can actually be faster and less painful to come up with a win-win solution than to endlessly beg, threaten, or bribe the kids.
Here is how it went tonight:
Me: Time to get out of the bath.
BB: No, I want to play more.
At this point I could have pulled him out of the tub, yelling all the way, wrapped him in his towel and sent him pouting off to his room. I resisted the urge.
Me: It is late and time to go. How about 1 more minute.
BB: Two minutes.
Me: OK. That's not much time because it is late. I'll be back in two minutes.
I went back in two minutes (or maybe it was five) and he happily got out, got dressed, and we were on our way. The fact that he happily and quickly got dressed more than made up for the two minutes I let him play.
That's enough for now. More on follow through later.
2 comments:
I have been enjoying your posts about this. This particular one has stuck with me for the last day or two. I think that compromise totally works with my 6 year old. His age and temperament allow it. But my 3 year old does not believe in compromises. I try this strategy with him a lot, and he starts kicking and screaming when he knows its time for his end of the bargain (after I have come through on my side). Then I have to decide if I want to follow through (and deal with kicking and screaming) or be let him get his way because I would rather not deal with the tantrum. Either way is pretty miserable for me. I guess I feel like it's not as simple as your example. The only way we get that kid out of the bath is with a cold shower (seriously!). I have a copy of PET around here somewhere, you've inspired me to dust it off.
You are right. It certainly isn't as simple as the example I gave. It worked so well that time, but other times not so much. I think that is when it comes to the follow through part that I am still working on. And there are certainly times when I'm just not in the mood for the negotiations like this afternoon when I had a screaming headache and BB decided it was time to take a break under the courtyard tables at school.
Post a Comment