"I teach them correct principles and they govern themselves."
- Joseph Smith
Joseph Smith said this when asked how he governed so many people in such perfect order. I've been thinking about this in reference to parenting. I have a large stack of parenting books that have been passed to me. I have read a couple and bits and pieces of others, but I think that Joseph Smith's observations on leadership are as useful as any of their advice. While the parenting books offer more specifics on things like tantrums and potty training the leadership principles taught and exemplified by Joseph Smith seem like they work well as general guiding principles. If it is true it is true, whether you are leading a large organization or a small family.
Here are a couple of the things I learned:
- Teach the truth through example.
- Don't be afraid of the sacrifice required.
- You may not always be understood even by those who are close to you.
- Love and serve those you lead. Know them well enough to know their needs.
- Allow them autonomy to make their own decisions within the limits of their abilities. Sometimes they know more than you do about a given situation.
- Rely on the Lord for wisdom and understanding.
2 comments:
Not being understood...even by those close to you...
Great observation.
I said that so simply, it sounds so lonely and depressing.
I don't mean it as such. I just think it's a true idea. It's happens sometimes...:)
Post a Comment