Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas present crafts

This year we drew names among the adults in my husband's family.  I drew the toughest name in the group, and she admits it.  So I decided to make something instead of trying to find something to buy.  After thinking of all the things I could do I decided to try my hand at painting a silk scarf since it would be something unique, she wears scarves, and they are small and don't take up a lot of room.  I found the supplies and instructions at http://www.dharmatrading.com/.  Here is what I did.

First I washed and stretched the silk.  I had previously drawn this twiggy pattern on paper to trace on to the silk.


Then the resist goes on.  It prevents the paint from spreading.  You can get some nice watercolor effects letting the paint spread, but if you want a sharp line you have to stop the paint.


Here is the end result.


My idea for the pattern and colors was twigs and branches against the winter sky.  I did the first one in grey and burgandy and a second one in blues.  There are some issues with technique, but I like the overall effect.  It's been fun and I'm planning to do more.  I'll let you know.

2 comments: